CCAC was invited to participate in the Old Cook County Hospital Building Charrette on September 23-October 7, 2014. Over the course of the charrette, organizations including CCAC, Metropolitan Planning Council, Landmarks Illinois, and Lambda Alpha/Ely Chapter developed concept proposals for the re-development of the former Cook County Hospital building and adjacent land in the Illinois Medical District on Chicago’s Near West Side. The charrette culminated in a presentation of proposals at the Chicago Architecture Foundation on October 7.
OUR VISION ENCOMPASSES THREE KEY ELEMENTS:
- HONORING HISTORY: Our program is based upon honoring the legacy of old Cook County Hospital as a widely recognized symbol of leadership in urban public health for nearly a century.
- BUILDING A LEGACY FOR THE FUTURE: As beneficiaries of this heritage, we envision a mixed-use campus anchored by the old Cook County Hospital that becomes the center of the Illinois Medical District and knits together its anchor institutions, connects to its adjacent neighborhoods and acts as a magnet for an economic development district centered on the West Side and built on the twin pillars of healthcare delivery and wellness, and post-secondary education and research.
- INCENTIVES FOR SUCCESS: To implement this vision, it is critical to consider all potential public-private funding sources and procurement models.
Key elements of our vision include (i) a 200,000 sq. ft. building connected to the old Cook County Hospital which creates a center for the Harrison Street east-west corridor, (ii) a renovated Hektoen building, (iii) three inter-connected 130,000 sq. ft. buildings along western side of Wood Street south of the old Cook County Hospital, (iv) a 50,000 sq. ft. community health center and revenue generating underground parking garage, and (v) parkland decks over the Eisenhower Expressway and Ogden Avenue which create an unbroken pedestrian pathway to the new 2020 Harrison Street development to the West, United Center to the North, UIC Campus to the South and Rush University Medical Center to the East.
For more information:
- View CCAC’s full concept proposal in Powerpoint or PDF format
- View President Preckwinkle’s thank you letter (PDF)
- Download Cook County’s official charrette report, Unlocking the Value (PDF)
CCAC would like to thank our charrette team member organizations:
- Bryan Cave, LLP
- Cushman & Wakefield
- Forum Studio
- Globetrotters Engineering Corporation
- Lend Lease
- Perkins + Will
- Port Urbanism
- RMC International